I have been sitting on this for a few weeks now because I just wanted to give it its due attention. I met up the with the smart and entrepreneur extraordinaire Cindy Photolo founder of Chic Chick on a chilly Saturday at the Bright Water Commons (I was hanging out with my nephew and she gladly came through to meet me). With a background in engineering, she fell in-love with the formulation and science of hair and skin. She initially partnered with a friend and dealt with the import of hair for weaves and wigs which were lacking in her home region. Soon after starting her own natural journey she saw a need and started Chic Chick having a niche in an area where as you know alot of ladies want to embrace their curls but just don't know where to start. I love that Cindy (also known as MJ) just started her unique company and brand and although it was not easy she just got on with it.
Chic Chick - founded in 2009 but prominent in the region of Free State until recently with a relocation to Johannesburg and new website up and running, Chic Chick have certainly come a long way.
What do they supply - well the really really really really good stuff - pure - organic - ayurvedic and just super nourishing and health maintaining products for skin, scalp and hair. AND. Not just curly hair or black hair - ALL SKIN and ALL HAIR - regardless of race or hair texture.
The above taken from their website just describes me (o:What exactly am I talking about, what exactly could be good for ANYONE with skin and hair. Before I list some of what they have to offer I thought to let you know why I am mentioning them on my blog. Well, the first thing that got me excited was their stock of Henna as well as Indigo Henna. It can be hard to find these in their purest form. The ones we see in many stores are not pure and most have just used the name Henna on their packaging so as to get your attention, I really also like the range of products and price (quite reasonable at the moment) that Chic Chick have to offer and yes you can find some of what they supply in various versions in pharmacies such as Dischem but it is also great to have an option as not all Dischems sell the same thing or same products. I also really like that when you look at the ingredients of Chic Chick's products, it is usually just one ingredient confirming that the items are in as purest form as possible. I also really like that their product can work alone or together showcasing the forward thinking they have in the careful selection of what they have to offer and what they want to promote - healthy skin and hair AND SCALP for ALL. Why am I listing what they currently offer - well just to give you picture of what you can get from them to enhance your own healthy skin, scalp, hair and even nails no matter what skin or hair you have. Pay their site a visit and indulge yourself http://www.chicchick.co.za/
Just a quick note - if you are thinking of dying your hair black to enhance or enrich your natural black hair or maybe cover up some grays - why use a permanent color when you can use natural and hair strengthening Henna especially Indigo Henna.
Some of Chic Chicks Products - lovingly gifted to meHere is the list and as always do your own research and feel free to contact Chic Chick and go on embrace the healthy stuff.
Under Hair Care:
- Pure Natural Oils such Argan Oil, Moringa Oil and their own various Oil mixs
- Pure Clays such as Rhassoul Clay and Bentonite Clay
- Hand made and molded hair bars/masks - Scalp Balancer Mask, Hair Booster Mask and Green Tea Hair Strengthening Mask
- Amla Powder - can be used as a hair conditioner on its own or infused with coconut oil (make your own REAL Amla oil). Can also be used as a hair dye giving a cool brown colour if mixed with Henna or indigo/henna powders (in other words you can change the tone of the normal henna mix to get a desired colour - are you excited)
- Bhringraj Powder - can be used as a hair conditioner good for treating thinning hair, hair loss, premature greying and general conditioning of the hair. (are you excited)
- Brahmi Powder - can be used as a hair conditioner to awaken the scalp, strengthen hair from the roots, relieve dandruff and thicken hair. Can be mixed with other powders such as the ones mentioned above to further enhance its treatment properties.
- Neem Powder - can be used to treat psoriasis, dandruff, oily and thinning hair. Can protect the scalp from fungi and bacteria, it can also encourage hair growth.
- Shikakai Powder - a natural herbal hair and scalp cleanser that cleanses without drying and a great alternative to shampoo or co-washing and clay washing, Can be used to protect the scalp from fungi and bacterial infections and relieves itching and dandruff. It prolongs, protects and enhances colour treated hair.
- Cassia Obovata - can be used to strengthen and soften hair. Good for colour treated hair as it does not really add colour but works and has the same properties as Henna. (please note that left on longer this can change and enhance blonde colored hair and is even labelled by some suppliers as blonde Henna).
- Henna Powder - a chemical free natural hair dye. Can be used to not only colour hair (can be mixed with Indigo, Cassia or Amla powders to change the tone/shade of the colour) but strengthen and condition hair similar to a protein treatment. (Do not use Henna on hair that has been treated with a permanent hair colour)
- Indigo Powder - a chemical free natural hair dye. (jet black, dark brown or light brown and can be mixed with Cassia and Amla to change the desired shade of colour). Indigo powder can be used on hair that has other colour treatment, permanent colour included, BUT one must wait inbetween treatments - interestingly - should your hair turn green or or blue because one did not wait long enough then tomato sauce can be used immediately after and repeatedly until the colour fades.
- The above information has been read from the Chic Chick website and a few other sources (I have reworded to my own personal understanding). Please do your own research into the properties and uses of each of the above mentioned powders (you will notice it is more or less the same as stated on the site and you gain even more knowledge).
- As much as there are many great benefits of using the natural powders - everyone's hair and skin is different - please do a patch test before applying to the full head or skin - some people may be allergic or their hair or skin may think otherwise and retaliate.
- Please also note the don'ts of using any product as well as the do's - some for example that I personally know of - do not mix these powders in or with any metalic tool - use glass or plastic bowls or utensils. It is best to totally clean the hair before use - especially if you live in a hard water area - use a chelating shampoo (Pureology Purify Shampoo, Joico K-Pac, Joico RESOLVE Chelating, Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing Shampoo, ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo apparently has chelating properties to name a few)
Some of Chic Chicks Powders - lovingly gifted to me (watch out for a post where I am giving away a couple of these as well as the first of a number of reviews)
Under Skin Care
Listen to your hair x
- Aloe Gel - can be used on both skin and hair
- Aloe Juice - can be used on both skin and hair
- Argan Oil - can be used on both skin and hair
- Facial Cleansing Powder Fresh Chocolat - can be used to gently cleanse, detox and softly even skin tone
- Facial Cleansing Powder Fresh Grains - can be used to gently cleanse, detox and softly even skin tone
- Facial Cleansing Powder Fresh Herbs with Vitamin C - can be used to gently cleanse and polish skin to reveal glowing skin
- Hydrating Beauty Oil
- Hydrating Beauty Oil Treatment
- Moringa Oil - can be used on both skin and hair
- Raw Honey
- Rose Water - can be used on both skin and hair
- Rosehip Oil - can be used on both skin and hair
- Vegetable Glycerin - can be used on both skin and hair
- Various including Geranium, Lavender, Mint Leaf, Moringa and Rosehip
Listen to your hair x